Sunday, April 18, 2010

Quiet

Time for some quiet. I have been running around so quickly! San Cristobal de Las Casas, a colonial city in the chilly mountains of Chiapas, Mexico, shelters some of the most interesting people in the world. A place of contradictions. A place of drugs, hippies, wanderers, tourists, travelers, rich locals, poor locals, and the Indigenous Maya, speaking their own language, living in the mountains, maintaining self sufficiency the best way they know how in the 21st century, and the beginning of the Zapatista Revolution, a fight for Indigenous rights all across Mexico that has spread into the United States. A place with its own energy, green, tree filled country side, farms with sheep and llamma, and a very cool, calming energy that is almost stagnant, yet creating a buzzing electricity among the people who visit here. By far, one of the most interesting places I have spent time in. By far, one of the most indigenous, and by far, one of the most creative. Beautiful San Cristobal, you make me believe in hope, you help me to see the world through a lens I have never experienced before, you have created a vision in my head that I will write a book, and speak of my travels, and what they mean, and fully inspire as my purpose here is to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment