Sunday, February 7, 2010

Turning to the arts...


Today, I woke up in the morning and told myself, "I'm going to buy a ukulele and learn how to play it!" As I read the book titled, "Planet Walker," and became inspired by his learning to play the banjo along his pilgrimage during 22 years of walking and 17 years of silence, I decided, it's time for me to quit saying I want to do something, and just DO IT! So after my 2 hour hike with Pepper in the Berkeley hills, I stopped at the Treat Music Store and bought myself a Hawaiian Ukulele, of course, MADE IN CHINA. Taking my own advice that I've been giving for so many years and just DOING IT, I have come to one realization: I suck at playing the ukulele. BUT, I will get better. I will climb over mountains of hardship, hurdles of doubt, and clouds of fear, until I learn how to play at least 3 songs, with no mistakes, on the ukulele. After that, I'm hoping my fingers become callused enough and my wrists used to the uncomfortable position that the tiny little ukulele causes to continue on my journey of ukulele playing. Who knows? Maybe you'll see me one day as the next Israel Kamakawiwo'ole!!! Or maybe not...but I know one thing, I gave it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment